Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sight Words

Hi Friends!
We all know how important it is for our students to know sight words.  In my school
district we have a list of sight words for each grade level.  There are 50 words for kindergarten,
174 words for first grade and 100 for second grade.  It's my job to make sure my students
master all 174 words by the end of the school year.  I practice these words with my students
in a variety of different ways.  I'd like to share a couple of them with you.
I have a Power Point slide show that I play on a big screen every morning that has sight words or sight word phrases.  The kids read the words as they appear and then disappear, one by one, on the screen.  I play a game with them called "Beat the Teacher."  They have to say the sight word before I say it.  The Power Point slide show is set up by quarters;  Quarter 1 sight words
 are first, followed by Q. 2 and so on.  We work on one quarter at a time until it is mastered.
Another thing I do daily to practice sight words with my students is simply have them read a list of the words. I have a list of sight words by quarter that I pass out to each student before I begin my
guided reading lesson.  We read the words aloud together.  At first we read them in order and then
we mix it up.  We also practice sight words in context through a variety of different
 reading and writing activities every day. 

Here is a picture of my Q. 1 sight word list.



Here are a couple of good books for practicing sight words in context.