Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blurt Alert!


Hi Friends!
It's a cold, rainy day here in Moline, Illinois.  It's a perfect day to stay inside and read blogs.
I have a fire going in my woodburning stove and my three dogs curled up
around me.  They don't like it much when I'm on the computer. 
So, this post will be short.
I was on Pinterest recently and saw a short video about a blurt alert light.
The idea was to put a small Sylvania Dot-It light in your classroom
that can be turned on as a blurt alert to remind your kids to raise their hands when
they have something to say rather than blurting it out. 
I wasn't able to find the exact type of light the woman in the video
shared, but I did find two different kinds that worked for me.
I put one light on my easel where my class gathers several times a day.
I put the other one on my table where I meet with small groups.
I wasn't sure how this would work, but I thought I would give it a try.
After using it for a week,  I can tell you that my first graders love it!
  They always remind me to turn the Blurt Alert on
before we begin our lessons.  It really does work!
Here's a couple of pictures of the Blurt Alert lights in my classroom.